I am a lecturer at the University of Zaragoza (Spain). In December 2019, I received my PhD cum laude after defending my thesis, written under the supervision of Prof. Carmen Pérez-Llantada, where I examined the role of English and language strategies in the internationalisation of Spanish higher education from a top-down point of view, using corpus linguistics and critical discourse analysis. I have also been a visiting scholar at the Economic University of Bucharest (2017) and the University of Birmingham (2018). My main research interests include internationalisation, language policy, and English as an academic language, although I have done previous research on topics such as teaching English as a Foreign Language and discourse analysis of digital genres.
You can also find me on my website
- Villares, R. (2019). The role of language policy documents in the internationalisation of multilingual higher education: an exploratory corpus-based study. Languages, 4(56), 1-9. doi: 10.3390/languages4030056
- Villares Maldonado, R. (2017). Project Work as a Tool to Develop Intercultural Competence from an ELF Perspective in Secondary Education. In G. Nieto Caballero (ed.), Nuevas aportaciones al estudio y aprendizaje de lenguas extranjeras (pp. 107-122). Cáceres: Universidad de Extremadura servicios de publicaciones. ISBN: 978-84-608-9678-4.
- Villares, R. (2017). A Corpus-based Analysis of Non-Standard English Features in the Microblogging Platform Tumblr. EPiC Series in Language and Linguistics, vol. 2, 295–303. ISSN: 2398-5283.
- Ecología de géneros y ecología de lenguas: análisis de las dinámicas de la comunicación científica local, transnacional e internacional (2016-2019). Referencia: FFI2015- 68638-R. Entidad financiadora: MECD. Investigador principal: Dra. María Carmen Pérez-Llantada Auría.
- Linguistic diversity on the international campus (2015-2017). Participating institutions: Monash University (Australia), Three Gorges University (China), Helsinki University (Finland), Siena University (Italy), Waseda University (Japan), University of Malaya (Malaysia), Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (Netherlands), University of Zaragoza (Spain), Southampton University (UK). Dates: January 1 2015 - December 31st 2017. Leading researchers: Dr. Jennifer Jenkins (Southampton University, UK) y Dr. Anna Mauranen (Helsinki University, Finland).
- Villares, R. (2019). Cuando dos metodologías son mejor que una. Seminario internacional Psylex V: de los datos empíricos a la teoría del lenguaje. University of Zaragoza, Spain, 24-25 October 2019. Poster presentation. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3751851
- Villares, R. (2019). The role of languages in the internationalization of higher education. I seminar in English Studies (SEING). University of Zaragoza, Spain, 10 May 2019. Conference presentation. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3751873
- Villares, R. (2019). A critical discourse analysis of language policy documents in the multilingual university context. 37th International Conference of the Spanish Society of Applied Linguistics (AESLA), University of Valladolid, Spain, 27-29 March 2019. Conference presentation. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3833877
- Villares, R. (2018). Internationalization strategies in Spanish universities: a corpus-driven analysis of institutional documents. XVII International AELFE Conference, 28-29 June 2018, University José Camilo Cela, Spain. Conference presentation. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3833860
- Villares, R. (2017). A cross-disciplinary study of scholars’ multilingual research-oriented literacies. 9th AILA- European Junior Researcher Meeting, 6-8 September 2017, University of Vienna, Austria. Conference presentation. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3784511
- Villares, R. (2017). ’Going international’ in Higher Education: A Corpus-Driven Analysis of Strategic Plans in a Spanish University. Discourse, Knowledge and Practice in Society, 7-8 July 2017, University of Bucharest, Romania. Conference presentation. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3784493